Sunday, May 30, 2010

Picturing Lake Minnetonka; A Postcard History

Picturing Lake Minnetonka: A Postcard HistoryLast week I assembled a "photo album" of penny postcards (dating back to the 1930's) that had belonged to my grandparents at one time.  That was perfect timing for the exploration of this book. So, I hope you'll indulge me for a few moments while I describe a local history book about the Lake Minnetonka area.  Lake Minnetonka has been a part of Minnesota history since at least the 1880's when James J. Hill recognized the tourism potential of the Lake, and began building railroads and hotels to accommodate them.  This unique book includes a large collection of early photographs, postcards, and other images of the early days on this famous lake.  it is especially strong on early steamboating on the Lake.  Written by James Ogland, this has great potential as a History Day resource.

No comments: